Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2022

A Day in the Life (Winter)

 I wake each morning at 7am and turn on my blue LED solar/battery powered lights. It's usually around 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius) in my cabin in the mornings. I get dressed, make a pot of tea, and sometimes make pancakes. By 8:30 I'm ready to drive to work. To get to my driveway it takes a headlamp, snowshoes, and sometimes bear bells to let the moose know I'm coming. My cabin is about nine stories up a hill and I usually bring my pack frame backpack to the bottom of the hill a few times a week to haul firewood back up after work.


I scrape the ice off my car windows and sometimes dig out my car from a fresh snowfall. By 9am I'm at work in the boatyard and get home a little after 5 in the afternoon. This time a year it's dark at both ends of the day so I drive to and from work in a dark twilight. Homer gets about six hours of daylight in December. 


After work I sometimes dig out my driveway again before I can park, load up my backpack with chopped wood, and haul it up the hill. It takes about three minutes to climb the hill with a full pack. 


By the time I get home it's about 40 degrees in my cabin so I light a fire in my wood stove, make dinner, clean my dishes with melted snow, and go to bed sometime after the temperature reaches 70 degrees.