Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2021

Back in Alaska-a Brief Update

I flew out of Australia in mid March of 2020. It was one of the last flights out before the borders closed. I was signed up for vocational school starting in April, but since 2020 didn't go as planned, school was pushed back to July. Once it finally started I graduated six months later with a certificate in Marine Systems from the Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building. I was immediately hired as a diesel mechanic for a boat shop in Port Townsend, Washington. I worked there for eight months then was offered a job in Homer, Alaska. Home! I took the job and within six weeks I'd sold my boat, quit my job, and drove to Alaska in my sister's Grand Marquis. 

Over the past five weeks I've been working for a fiberglass boat builder. I've been sanding boats, designing an battery system, and learning to make resin-infused fiberglass panels. It's a great job and I'm really enjoying myself.

I've moved back into my little cabin in Homer and I'm currently house- and dog-sitting for my cousin.

Masking and sanding of the "John Hunter"



Resin-infused panel

Dog-sitting



Home, sweet home